Kharazmi University at a Glance
The first teacher training institution for primary schools in Iran was established as Darol-Mo'allemin Markazi (Central House of Teachers) in the building of the Culture Ministry in Takht-e-Zomorod area of Tehran in 1919. With the increase in the number of schools in Iran and the increasing need for trained teachers, Darol-Mo'allemin Markazi was developed into Darol-Mo'allemin Aali (Higher House of Teachers) at the Higher Council for Sciences in October 1926. In December 1927, the Iranian Parliament passed a law to modify the statute of the latter institution to support it further and help employ its graduates nationwide.
From then on, Darol-Mo'allemin Aali was divided into the two major ‘scientific' and ‘literary' departments. In 1932 and with expansion of the courses offered, Darol-Mo'allemin Aali moved to Negarestan building, which had, as part of the Negarestan Garden, started its history as the summer residence of Fath-Ali Shah Qajar, the second king of the Qajar dynasty in 1808. Darol-Mo'allemin Aali changed its name to Danesh-saraye-ali (Higher Training College) in 1933. In 1963, the government's board of ministers supplanted the Danesh-saraye-ali with the organization for Teacher Education and Educational Research. The organization was rebadged again as Danesh-saraye-ali, however, and came to be sponsored by the Ministry of Higher Education after the latter was founded in the country in 1967. In 1974, with the approval of the Council for the Expansion of Higher Education at the Ministry of Higher Education, Danesh-saraye-ali turned into Teacher Training University with its own dedicated board of trustees. The university was subsequently assigned with the task of developing teacher education programmes across the country and Danesh-saraye-alis or Higher Training Colleges were duly established in Zahedan, Sanandaj and Yazd and the Science Schools in Arak and Kashan were affiliated with Teacher Training University. The two final branches of the university were finally established in Sabzevar and Tabriz in 1987 and 1989 respectively. In 1990, all the higher education institutions affiliated with or established by Teacher Training University were separated from and granted independence by the Council for the Expansion of Higher Education at the Ministry of Higher Education. The university changed its name to Kharazmi University January, 2012 to further expand and strengthen the educational and research activities at the university, the University of Economic Sciences was incorporated into Kharazmi University according to the decision made on 15.03.2015 at the Council for the Expansion of Higher Education at the Ministry of Science, Research and Technology."- at present, it has 5 deputy departments, 15 colleges, 4 research institutes, 4 research centers, 2 national centers of research excellence and 450 members of academic staff comprised of 40 professors, 90 associate professors, 287 assistant professors and 33 instructors.